Tuesday, July 8, 2014

PROTECTIVE STYLE CHALLENGE 6 MONTH UPDATE

It's July, and I have just completed month six of my 1 year protective style challenge. Each month, since January 2014, I have created a different protective style and maintained that style for approximately one month. I decided to embark on this challenge because this is my 3rd year with natural hair (click here for my Natural Hair Journey), and though there has been significant growth and overall improvement to my hair, I feel like the growth has hit it's plateau.

I am on a journey to stronger, longer and healthier hair and I know that protective styling, if done correctly, can be beneficial for the hair and scalp.  So here's what I've done thus far. 

In January 2014 I was wearing a sew in. The sew-in was installed by a local stylist but I cut and styled it myself. In the past I loved sew-in's but I like to have constant access to my hair and scalp.


February 2014 I decided to braid my hair into waist-length box braids. I love this style. It is a time consuming process, but this style allows for optimal moisturizing.


March 2014 I decided to upgrade the box braids I had from February. So, I washed, deep conditioned and cut the box braids, then I wrapped the braids with marley hair creating faux locs. Very cute style, lots of compliments, however
the weight of the excess hair made my scalp tender. mayber shorter or smaller locs would work better.
 



April 2014 I went back to a trusty favorite and did some box braids that are shorter than the first batch. 




In May 2014 I took a two week break from styling... there was a small amount of growth but a huge difference in the health of my hair!!!

...back to protective styling This time waist length senegelese twists. Love em!! May 2014

June 2014 I did some braids with a splash of color, these were spur of the moment and literally only took me about 2 hours to complete. This process is getting quicker ya'll!!

It is now July 2014 and I've been on the wig kick for a minute.

*For updated pics and styles check out my Facebook and Instagram pages!

That Is All!


No comments: