Thursday, May 8, 2014

Asa: A Genre-Crasher

ASA (ASHA)






Wonder with me for a minute... What if you took your favorite heavy Reggae/African beats, overlaid with acoustic saxophone and flute whispers, add the influence of the best raspy voiced R&B inspired talent you can think of, and then, subtract the love songs and instead sprinkle heavy human interest lyrics... go ahead, I'll wait.... you end up with, my newfound love,  singer/songwriter Asa (pronounced Asha).   Her music makes it easy to relax and think and the same time. She's a  well known performer in Europe and is originally from Nigeria. In many of her songs you can hear a few musical influences. Reggae, Jazz, African, Gospel as wells as some Blues and pop influences can all be found in her music. Some of my favorites include.... Jailer, Ba Mi Dele and the acoustic version of Lya

 Her soothing voice and catchy rhythm is what initially caught my attention, it was the intermingling of French/African and English languages  in her thought provoking lyrics, that kept my attention. I was first introduced to this melodic beauty by a friend and popular DJ in Oakland, CA. When I asked more about the artist she simply stated... "Babygirl is tight" that statement coming from a hip hop dj was enough to pique my curiosity... Here's the first song that I ever listened to by Asa...


Asa can be found on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and her videos can be seen on YouTube.  Check her out!

That is All

No comments: